Discriminatory Harassment Policy
The University of Notre Dame believes in the intrinsic value of all human beings. It is, moreover, committed to the full, peaceable participation of all its members in the educational endeavor it fosters. Accordingly, the University prohibits discriminatory harassment by all administrators, faculty, staff, and students. The University is also committed to the free expression and advocacy of ideas and wishes to maintain the integrity of this commitment as well.
Discriminatory harassment includes offensive, unwelcome conduct or language that is based on an individual’s race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic information, and that would create an intimidating, hostile, offensive, or demeaning environment for a reasonable person and that actually creates such an environment for that individual.
Discriminatory harassment may include the following types of misconduct, when such misconduct concerns one or more of the protected characteristics listed above:
- Verbal abuse, slurs, derogatory comments or insults about, directed at or made in the presence of an individual or group;
- Display or circulation of written materials or pictures that are offensive or degrading;
- Damage to, trespass on or unauthorized use of property, such as spraying or scratching of a motor vehicle, damage or theft of property;
- Physical contact, or threatening language or behavior; or,
- Other conduct that interferes with an individual’s performance; limits participation in University activities; or otherwise creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive University environment.
Students are encouraged to report incidents of discriminatory harassment. Students are provided the following options to report an incident:
- The University offers an online incident reporting form at speakup.nd.edu. All reports submitted through the speakup.nd.edu online reporting form will be forwarded to an appropriate University administrator.
- For incidents involving a student who has engaged in alleged discriminatory harassment, the Office of Community Standards is available by calling 574-631-5551 or by e-mailing email@example.com.
- For incidents involving a faculty or staff member who has engaged in alleged discriminatory harassment, the Office of Institutional Equity is available by calling 574-631-0444 or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.