Safety and Security
The Office of Campus Safety was established in October 2010 when the various departments were brought together under one operation in order to help leverage their shared vision of promoting safety on campus. The office strives to cultivate a culture of safety on campus by maintaining a comprehensive safety and security program that includes:
- Coordinating routine safety operations
- Planning and preparing the University’s efforts to strengthen its response to an emergency or disaster
- Sustaining strong collaboration with community partners
Notre Dame Security Police
The University of Notre Dame Security Police Department, located in Hammes Mowbray Hall just east of the Power Plant, is fully authorized as a police agency by the State of Indiana. The department employs both sworn police officers and non-sworn campus safety officers who patrol campus and respond to emergencies. Additional staff members work as security monitors or in other support positions in the department. Notre Dame police officers complete state mandated training requirements established for law enforcement officers and have the same legal authority as any other police officer in Indiana. Notre Dame Security Police staff frequently work with city, county, state and federal law enforcement authorities. Agencies cooperate whenever possible on investigations and crime prevention programs to provide the best possible police services to our campus and local communities. Notre Dame Security Police staff offer an array of other services for the community. When you don’t know who to call, feel free to contact us for assistance.
Staff Directory: ndsp.nd.edu/about-ndsp/directory/
Administrative Office: 204 Hammes Mowbray Hall
Phone: 574-631-5555 (24/7 Dispatch) 574-631-8338 (administrative offices)
Fire Protection and Emergency Medical Services
Serving three colleges and 15,000 citizens – and a population that swells to over 100,000 during a football game – the members of the University of Notre Dame Fire Department (NDFD) devote a significant portion of their lives by working 24 hours shifts to safeguard the Notre Dame Community. As a full service life-safety agency, NDFD is a vital component of the University’s mission to provide a safe environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. Serving since 1879, NDFD has evolved from volunteers responding when the alarm sounded to a professional department that seeks to prevent fires through public education, fire code inspections and fire protection system maintenance as well as being trained and equipped in order to be able to respond to the 1500 calls for service we receive annually
Staff Directory: ndfd.nd.edu/about-ndfd/contact-us/
Administrative Office: Thomas Coleman Fire Station (located at the intersection of St. Joseph Drive and Holy Cross Drive)
Risk Management and Safety
The programs and services of Risk Management and Safety combine the technical disciplines of environmental health and safety with risk control and risk transfer. The University is a significant enterprise of teaching, research, and public service which include many areas and varieties of inherent hazard and loss exposure. We manage and coordinate the University’s effort to address these risks through the programs listed and described below:
- Risk Management and Insurance Programs – including researching insurance markets and coverages and purchasing property, casualty, and most other insurance coverages (except for health, life and disability which is purchased by Human Resources).
- Health and Safety Programs – including annual inspections of teaching and research laboratories, machine shops, athletic fields, fitness centers and weight rooms, playgrounds, and food sales operations; plan-review and safety consulting on new construction and renovations, and safety training.
- Environmental Compliance Programs – including complete hazardous waste services to all generators on campus and consulting services to other departments on campus subject to environmental regulations.